Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Strong Willed! (and then some)

To say Delaney is strong-willed is just an understatement.  She has been since day one.  I mean, I can't really say I am all that surprised.  Have you met her parents?  So, what excactly do I mean when I say this about her?

Well, let's start from the beginning.  In about my 7th month of pregnancy, I was having regular Braxton-Hicks contractions.  I got checked at my 38 week appointment and NOTHING!  Good thing I was having a scheduled C-Section the following week or baby girl may have made it her permanent home.

Then, when we brought her home, she wanted to have NOTHING and I mean NOTHING to do with nursing.  She wanted that bottle and that's all there was to it.  So, I switched her over to formula which just about sent me to the looney bin.  It was my only expectation  of motherhood was that I would able to nurse her.  Oh well.  You roll with the punches, right?

Come to find out as the days and nights start rolling into one in my sleep deprived state, I realize that she despises being put down.  Wants to be held ALL the time.  So, she falls asleep for a nap and I attempt to transfer her to the pack-n-play and she awakes immediately.  If I want my baby to nap, I came to the conclusion I needed to plant myself in the glider literally all day long.  Good think I am a stay at home Mom.  I caught up on all of the Interventions and So You Think You Can Dance episodes I've missed!


As she continues to grow and thrive her strong-willedness only transforms in other areas of her life.  Now, at the ripe old age of 6.5 months, if she wants something she uses this high pitched screech until she gets it, ie; my 5 year old nephew Danny paying attention to her.  If he stops for a split second, she starts screeching until he resumes entertaining her and then she is as happy as a clam.  Or, yesterday on the way home from Venice (which is a solid 20 - 25 minute drive), she wanted Mommy to be holding her so she thought screaming the entire way would get her that.  Too bad Mommy was driving.   As soon as we pulled into the garage and I opened her car door, big smile across her face and happy the rest of the evening.  Hmm!?!

Oh boy!  I could go on and on and on, but at that point no one would actually be reading anymore.  Point blank - Delaney Grace has a very strong personality and it isn't going anywhere.  And guess what?  I love every stinkin second of it.  Don't call her my little Punky for nothing.  And she is the absolute cutest thing I have ever layed my eyes on!!!!

No comments: